Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I Deserve Death (10 Reasons Why I Love God #2)

I deserve death and nothing more. You might be asking yourself how I can make such a bold and harsh statement. The reason I know I that I deserve death is the Bible tells me so. The first part of Romans 6:23 tells us that “the wages of sin is death…” If we consider that we all have sinned (Romans 3:23), it is easy to understand that what we all deserve is death and nothing more.

Thankfully, because of God’s love, mercy, and goodness, death is not our only option. The full text of Romans 6:23 reads, “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” You see, God knew that when we reach a certain age and have to choose right from wrong, we were going to mess it up, we were going to sin. Sin separates us from God, no doubt about it, but God has given us a way to restore that relationship, through His Son, the perfect sacrifice. “For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified (Hebrews 10:15). Jesus the Christ, the perfect sacrifice came to this earth willingly (Philippians 2:5-7), so we didn't have to suffer the consequences we deserve.

The fact that God loved me enough to send His Son to pay the price that I owe is something that causes me to have a deep love and devotion to Him. John 3:16, has become a little bit of a “token” verse in today’s society. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems we read that verse in our Bible or see it on a sign at a football game and fail to give it the consideration it demands. God’s love for us is pure, strong, and constant. His perfect, blameless, and precious Son was given on our behalf before we ever decided to love Him back.

There is nothing you can do to make God stop loving you, the giving of His Son is evidence of that. The question for us to ponder is does the gift of love God provided for us, Jesus Christ, cause us to love God enough to be obedient to Him and His will? I am so thankful that though wrath was owed, through Christ, mercy is bestowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment