Monday, December 12, 2011

Time Well Spent?

Last month my family and I had the opportunity to take a family vacation to Walt Disney World in Orlando. We had a wonderful time. It was incredibly refreshing and enjoyable to spend a week together, enjoying one another’s company. Candy and I had the best time watching JaneClaire and Silas in the various Disney parks. They had smiles that seemed to be permanently fixed on their faces. Each day brought new excitement and experiences.

JaneClaire and Silas each had their own favorite characters and rides. It was great to see their faces light up when they finally got to meet their favorite character or go on the ride they had been longing to ride. One afternoon as we were waiting to board a ride something struck me that I wanted to share with you. The ride we were waiting on had a 40 minute wait time. I asked one of the attendants how long the ride lasted and he told me it was a 2 1/2 minute ride. It occurred to me that I was willing to sacrifice 40 minutes of my life for a 2 1/2 minute ride. As I thought about that, I could not help but consider our lives as Christians.

We often allow ourselves to become “too busy” for God, and will make concessions for the pleasures of the world instead. Why is it that we are willing to sacrifice 40 minutes standing in a line for a ride, but find it burdensome to spend 40 minutes a day with God? The time we spend with God has and eternal reward.
It is important that we remember how valuable and precious our time is as Christians. James 4:14 tells us “What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” We have a limited amount of time on this earth, we should maximize the amount of time we spend with God.

It is important that we keep a proper perspective when it comes to using our time for the service of God. Psalm 90:12 “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.”

Let us all be diligent is maximizing our time spent with God and enjoy doing so!

1 comment: