Friday, June 8, 2012

Talk about everything but Him?

Have you ever wondered why we often find it hard to tell others about Christ? For the most part, we are a people who love to communicate with others. Interaction with others is something we look forward to on a daily basis. We talk to our family, friends, and co-workers regularly. With this in mind, why do we find it so hard to communicate with others about Christ?

A fear of rejection is one of the biggest reasons we decide not to tell others about Christ. We ask ourselves questions such as “What if they get mad?” and “What if it ruins my relationship with them?” Rejection is a real and common fear. Nobody enjoys being turned down, laughed at, or viewed as someone who thinks they are “holier than thou.”

Though these fears are real and common, we as Christians cannot allow them to overcome our responsibility of telling others about Christ. The words of our Lord recorded in Matthew 10:32-33 tell us “So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” We must acknowledge Christ to others in not only our deeds, but our words as well. In considering our fear of rejection I am reminded of what the Apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 1:10 “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Even if it costs us the approval of our fellow man, we must be diligent in seeking to please our Father in all things.

A great way to increase your courage to spread the gospel is to pray for boldness. Consider what Paul said in Ephesians 6:18-19 “praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel…” The fields are white for the harvest, let us not allow our worldly fears distract us from our spiritual responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment